Monday 4 May 2020

Save Our Souls 


. . . - - - . . . 

“Did you hear the notes,
All the static codes, 
In the radio Abyss
Strangers in this town, 
They raise you up just to cut you down.
Oh Angela, it’s a long time coming
Home at last.”
The Lumineers, Angela. 

The static codes meant that a life has passed on, that there was one less soul in this phase called ‘life’. The waves meant that there was a life, that there were endless possibilities. For waves were just as stories, they all ended when somewhere else they began, just to end again. And yes, the waves are countless.

The static codes began looming as a shadow from the corners of a street at first. Then it started appearing everywhere; in front of a rusty billboard, across an old film poster with the name torn apart, beside the talented chai vendor who managed to not spill a drop as though his life mattered on it. Maybe it did matter for him, it was his way of living. Mine was very different, for I believed that humans needed a solid anchor to hold them to ground. 

There used to be fairs when the vendor gave me balloons after minutes of bargaining. There was a time when I used to tie them to the bed post, hoping that they’d never fly far away. They managed to get away at times, but was stopped by the bouncers- the ceiling. They were anchored. I thought that was necessary for everything, even for myself. 

But maybe, floating is as beautiful as being stationed. “Earth to human, dear!,” they used to yell at the day dreamer. But they remained to float, there was nothing weighing them down. So tonight, I am letting the anchor go lose from my arm, I am ready to float again; for I am sure that the waves will wash away the static codes, and the ship will guide me home somehow. To exist, you don’t have to be tethered to ground; you can fly and fly and still realize that you’ll be sent back down by the bouncers – the unknown. 
-Krishna J. Nair, Save Our Souls
27th November, 2017. 

No comments:

Post a Comment